Thursday, April 10, 2008

Is Your Mailbox Lonely?

Or is it just quite crowded with mail you don't want? We've successfully stopped just about all of the junk mail that used to fill up our mailbox, and now except utilites (gas, electricity, water), and cable internet and insurance, we hardly even get any bills anymore. As enamoured as I am of the internet and the ability to stay in constant contact with many of my friends, I rather miss 'real' mail now that I get only about a half dozen letters a year. There is something very gratifying about getting a handwritten letter from someone. Holding the paper and seeing the ink of feelings and thoughts from one heart and mind to another makes the whole communication more intimate and somehow more real. It's quite gratifying to hold in my hands a missive from a friend. And when I get a card or letter, I get the added pleasure of deciding whether to delay that gratification. Should I choose to set it aside, I can revel in the anticipation of opening and reading it. It assumes the status of a gift. And who doesn't love presents, right?
At postcrossing.com, you can sign up to send and receive postcards from random 'postcrossers' from all over the world. It isn't the same as getting a letter from a friend but it beats spam in your email and junk mail in your mailbox. And maybe it will appeal just a little to the romantic in you, the idea of a card chosen for and written and addressed to you from a stranger a quarter or a half way 'round the world. Even if it doesn't, the cards are nice and the stamps jsou hustá.

No comments: