Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Bag Thing

Here are the results of the latest test of the shirt bags. Twelve kilograms in one bag and five kilograms in the other. The bags stayed where I put them in the trunk of the car, and nothing slid out into the trunk while I drove home even though I didn't tie the tops of the bags. Yes, I drive like a maniac, so this may not be an issue for the less sanguine driver.

Now if I could just convince the bagboy that I don't want any of those stupid plastic store bags, and that's the reason I bring my own. The bagboy is the person who puts our groceries into the bags after the cashier rings up our purchases. "Bagboy" is probably no longer the correct name for this person; it's probably "bagger" or "packer" some similar gender and age neutral term. Or maybe something as outrageous as "customer service facilitator" or "endline packing engineer". Very few American stores expect the customers to bag their own purchases, though ringing up and bagging one's own items is a possibility at the "self-check stations" of some of the bigger stores.

No comments: