Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Easter Monday


I was a little unhappy to have missed the things I wanted to do on Easter, but Lenka came into the kitchen Monday morning to ask if I wanted to color eggs. "An Easter do-over?" I asked. She reminded me that Czechs celebrate on Easter Monday. I began to cheer up a little, and after I realized I hadn't missed my chance to get my Easter beatings, I cheered up a lot. So, here is the photo of the eggs that Lenka showed me how to color and decorate with onion skins and leaves, and to shine with a piece of bacon. And after dinner, we got our Easter beatings with the pomlasky.

For all of you non-Czechs, pomlaksy are braided switches which the Czech menfolk use to beat their women on Easter Monday. Don't gasp. It makes them healthy and beautiful all year (and apparently, excellent cooks).

2 comments:

Anonymous Me said...

Would you email me the instructions for those eggs? They're gorgeous!

Janet said...

Sure. I would be happy to. I need your email address.