Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Knights in Shining Armour


Okay, so maybe I am being a bit dramatic here, but how can I resist calling these North Carolina Highway Patrol Officers anything less heroic? Trooper McLeod arrived smiling and apologetic, though the fault of his late arrival was mine, not his, and quite happy to help us get out of our dilemma. He began to arrange transportation for us and for our vehicle. The tow truck that came was the one up in the rotation, not his personal choice (I asked). He called his boss, Sergeant Ledford who also came to help carry our bags and all of us, and while we waited around, Officer McLeod provided pleasant, interesting company.
At the Patrol Station in Clyde, we met Trooper Feinberg, who was equally kind and good-natured, and who had also arranged for us to be taken to the Asheville Airport to rent a car to get home, but when our ride arrived, we got a wonderful surprise.
It may be that it is just a part of their duties to be solicitous and polite to stranded motorists, to do more than just stare as they drive slowly past, to do more than throw up their hands and say, "It's Sunday," but I doubt it. Whether it is good breeding for which I should thank their mothers or good training for which I should thank their teachers, I was grateful for it. They represented both their state and my country well, I think. Lenka was impressed, too, I think. I know I was.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ms. McConnell,

Glad to hear that you and your family made it back home safely. It was very kind of the Roses to take you all the way back to Spartanburg, and hopefully not having to rent a car offset the price of towing your car to Asheville. Thank you for the nice things you said about us on the website, I'm glad we could help.

Mike McLeod