Saturday, January 26, 2008

I Still Voted

Okay, I will admit it. I am so disillusioned by the state of this country, by its polices at home and abroad and by just the sheer stupidity and self-serving practices of politicians, that for the first time since I became eligible to vote, I was tempted to just give the whole democratic process a miss. It's a bit sad, I think, that I should feel this way about something I have always taken so seriously and been so enthusiastic about. When I turned 18, I was more excited about finally being able to vote than I was about being able to buy alcohol. I went with my grandmother, her mother, and my own mother to the polling place in my little hometown and felt like I was a part of truly something important, that my right to vote, a part of the freedom that members of my family had fought for, had carried life-long scars for, that a few had even died for was a sacred right not to be taken for granted. I have volunteered my time to campaign in every Presidential election since 1980, and cried for those in countries where they don't have such freedoms, and lectured friend and foe on the importance of voting. Don't worry: I did vote, though I pressed the buttons with the least amount of conviction I have ever had in a voting booth. And as for my lack of enthusiasm, just watch this video. See if you see anything to account for this apathy.

What did this man do for me? What would any of the candidates do for anybody other than the rich?

No comments: