Wednesday, January 9, 2008

The "Do Over" for PF 2008

I used to be terribly annoyed by my brother and his friends at play; their games were so often punctuated by sudden outbursts and interrupted by fights that I wondered how they could enjoy each other's company at all. We girls didn't seem to fight as often. We never yelled at each other, and our arguments were more likely to take the form of long silences, maybe tears and hurt looks instead of shouting and hitting. It seemed to me, though, that the boys had a better way of dealing with their differences of opinion: they just shouted or swapped blows and got over it. Like firecrackers, they went off and were done with it. Because of this, I usually ended up playing with the boys. It was just easier for me to get along with them. (One of my former bosses would say it is because of my natural "firecracker-y" disposition.) The boys had one other way of dealing with things when they didn't go right. It's called a "do-over". In a game if a turn was wrongfully taken or ended badly, a shot was interfered with or even just missed, if you were playing with the boys, you could just shout for a "do-over" which meant another chance. So now I will get to my point: I want a do-over for New Year's Day. I was sick and didn't get to call my family and friends, as has been my habit for a long time. I didn't even feel like emailing, either (though it wouldn't have mattered since the internet was out most of the day). I am a bit superstitious about that one day and I think that whatever I do on that day will be what I am doing all year. I don't want to be sick and missing my friends for the next twelve months, so sometime in the next week or so, you may get a call or a card from me with your New Year's wishes.

No comments: