Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Co mysliste? Bude sněžit nebo ne?

That's the big question here. Actually, the forecast is calling for sleet and ice and maybe a little snow, but judging from the way we act around here, you would think we were expecting a month-long blizzard. We got an email from the school this morning reminding us of their inclement weather policy. The grocery stores were unusually crowded most of the day with people standing in long lines at the checkouts, a sight normally only on paydays and holidays. The shelves were already being emptied of milk and bread by two in the afternoon! And tomorrow, if there is snow or ice in the morning, the schools will be closed, there will be no public transport, factories and businesses will either close for the day or operate at reduced capacity. Are you laughing yet? I remember what a miracle it seemed to us in Brno when there was snow and ice and school and work. I knew then that when we came home I would miss the snow in winter, and I do. Thanks to Ivana and Lenka, I at least have plenty of good ovocný čaj, Czech movies, and Becherovka to keep me happy here for a little longer with or without snow.

No comments: