Saturday, December 22, 2007

Cruise: Hanging Around the Ship



I had hoped to spend my time out on deck (they say 'topside') lying in the sun with a book, but it was a bit too windy and cool for me. There are plenty of other things to do onboard that you don't pay extra for: dancing lessons, which I think would have been especially fun to watch before folks got their sea legs, craft lessons (we made beaded gecko decorations, paper flowers, origami boxes, and balloon flowers), a language lesson (there was only one, Tagalog, which we tried to make it through, but the seas were rough that day), art and jewelry lectures, handwriting analysis, and such during the day. Bram and I went to the towel folding demonstration to learn how the stewards fold those towel animals that they leave on our beds at night. In the evenings, there were comedy and music shows, a disco, and of course, topside there is always the pool and the hot tub.


At the ports of call, there are excursions, which have to be paid for. We were supposed to go snorkeling in George Town, Grand Cayman, but the seas were still too rough for it, so we went down in a submarine instead. I wouldn't recommend the submarine. Forgive me, Lenka, but it was not exciting, though it was probably more fun than investigating the many many luxury jewelry and watch stores and souvenir shops there. I am afraid that I cannot see the appeal of traveling to a new place just to shop, and for such expensive things. All I could think about was how many tickets to Brno could be had for the price of just one piece of such jewelry or fancy watch.

No comments: