Thursday, May 1, 2008

The Ant Experiments: Trial 1

Those of you who were hoping to see a nice photo of me and Bram tormenting ants are going to be disappointed. We didn't want to kill the ants, merely discourage them from continuing their annual march through my kitchen. I had hoped to have a photo of an ant for you, but the first experiment with a natural ant repellent is going so well that I don't have any ants to photograph. Every April, ants migrate through my kitchen for about a week. They go from one end of the counter to the other, down the wall and out the door and disappear. Another foot to the north and they would be going through the garage instead of my kitchen, but what could I do? I have tried all kinds of things to get rid of them in the past. I even tried insecticide once, but then stayed up all night worrying about poison in the kitchen. The ants don't get into the food (though it is a bit disheartening to see them when I am preparing meals (I use the other counter when they're here), but I would still like them gone. So this year, I tried an extremely simple natural remedy: ground cinnamon sprinkled along the ant trail. In a matter of hours, the number of ants decreased. Yesterday I saw fewer than fifty and today, only four! Ants don't like cinnamon. I wonder why.

4 comments:

Goldenrod said...

Janet, I have had a couple of sleepless nights since reading about how you and Bram deliberately disturbed the migratory patterns of millions of creatures too small to defend themselves.

How many thousands, do you think, were so traumatized by the cinnamon-sprinkling event that they simply keeled over and died --some, perhaps even as I type this comment, are still wandering around in circles, hopelessly lost, unable to get "home"? How many deformed eggs will be laid?

The world's environment might be forever changed by your thoughtful act, did you think of that?

Janet said...

Not to worry. I think they are still marching through, just under the countertop instead of over it. LOL. I see nothing. Me and Col. Klink. Seriously, now they are on the other counter.

Goldenrod said...

Tee hee! Glad you took my comment exactly the right way. Seriously, now they're on the other counter??
Ye Gods!

Well, evidently your whole kitchen is on their 'right of way'.

I REALLY enjoy your posts, Janet, and will be sending you an e-mail soon on another subject entirely.

Janet said...

Yep, they really are. I guess I should just wait it out again. LOL
Please comment any time, and feel free to email me.