Saturday, March 14, 2009

My Own Personal Auto Bahn

I admit it. I have favorite words, and lots of them. In Czech, one of my favorites is kniha-book (and another, knihovna-library). In Spanish, it's mariposa-butterfly. And in German, well, nothing rocks my boat like auto bahn. I like to pronounce it like this, ow-toe baahn when I pretend I'm on it. I was thinking about this word on last Monday as I cruised along I-85 at a happy 155 kmh to get to Athens to the dentist. I thought about other words I like the sound of like ryby-fish, and trascocina-closet, and pamplemousse-grapefruit. The dentist trip wasn't as bad as it could have been. I nearly fell asleep (yes, he's that good, and that is why I drive two and half hours for him to fix my teeth). And to make my life ever so much better, I spent time before the dental appointment with Nancy and her son Anthony (an absolute charmer, whose self confidence is not only endearing, but enviable), and later, had coffee and more time with Nancy to talk. I forget how good it feels, how positively soul-reviving time with a friend can be. I've felt better all week because of it, even though I got a speeding ticket on Wednesday. And that time, I was thinking only of words like time, and late, and hurry.

1 comment:

Anonymous Me said...

We enjoyed it too, immensely!