Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Mmmmm, Power Tools

Here are the before and after photos of the closet for which I made and installed shelves yesterday. It took about two hours, including the trip to Lowe's,which is exactly like OBI or Bauhaus, except there is no cafe in the store where you can have a drink or a meal. I live an easy walking distance from the Lowe's and a Home Depot, but I never walk or ride a bike to them because there are no sidewalks, and people drive more like they're at the Lowe's Motor Speedway than on a trip to the Lowe's store. In this area, there are people who call in to the newspaper to express their heartfelt convictions about the fitness of NASCAR drivers to be President of the US (and I thought we couldn't sink any lower than the current one). I have noticed that both Lowe's and Home Depot have all of their signs in both Spanish and English now, as do a few of the other stores, and I am quite happy about it because now a trip to these stores is a free language lesson.

BEFORE

no shelves
AFTER

shelves and drawers

It doesn't look like much, and really, compared to building (from scratch, all by myself) the doors for the garden shed a couple of years ago, the work was both less demanding and less satisfying. Learning and writing the code necessary to present these photos as they are here, side-by-side, with text, was actually more time consuming and in its way, more difficult than both. You know, I think those ready-made drawers should be replaced with something, better, don't you? Maybe next week...

No comments: